Rental Property Security
Are you looking to move into a rented property? We at Keytek™ have put together some handy hints and tips to help make your time in rental property hassle free!
- Have you checked the property over to make sure that all of the doors and windows have sufficient locks? Check the standards of the locks; firstly look out for a Kitemark, many insurance policies will stipulate that locks must be British Standard.
- Has your landlord changed the locks since the previous tenant/s have moved out? You never know who could still have a key!
- Is your deposit protected by a scheme? From 2007 it is a requirement for private landlords and letting agents to use a government approved tenancy deposit scheme*
- Have you read the tenancy agreement a few times and are you sure that you understand the small print? Does it include bills? Can you have pets? Guests?*
- Check the inventory thoroughly! At the end of your tenancy you wouldn’t want to be liable for damage that you didn’t cause.
- Before making any changes or improvements to the property, remember to obtain the landlord or letting agent’s permission – this includes changing the locks!
- If you’re thinking of installing an alarm system, easy fit domestic alarms are a great option if you are renting as they can be installed easily and can be moved easily from property to property.
- If you’re moving to a new area talk with your neighbours and introduce yourself. It’s always good to know people nearby in case anything is happening in the area.
- UV mark your items, if you did have the unfortunate event of a break in, your property can be identified as yours.