Keytek Home Security Advice
According to Halifax Home Insurance, there is a 10% increase in domestic burglaries and a 40% increase in thefts during the summer. With this in mind, are you doing all that you can to secure your home and prevent it from potential intruders this summer and in the following months? The Metropolitan Police advise that the Top Ten tips for securing your home are as follows:
- Don’t leave your keys or ID documents within easy reach of doors, letterboxes or windows.
- Close and lock all doors and windows. If you have multi-locking door handles, lift the handle, lock it with the key and remove it – LIFT – LOCK – REMOVE. Put the key out of sight but in a safe place in case of fire.
- Lock garages and sheds so garden tools and ladders can’t be used to break into your home.
- Keep side gates locked and wheelie bins stored behind them.
- Use timer switches linked to lights and a radio so it appears that someone is at home.
- Invest in a safe for valuables and sentimental items and securely fix it to a solid surface.
- Install a visible intruder alarm system – burglars don’t want to be seen or heard.
- Install low level ‘dusk till dawn’ lighting to increase visibility and deter burglars.
- Keep side and rear boundaries high to restrict access and front boundaries low to remove hiding places.
- Photograph and mark valuables and sentimental items with your postcode and house number/name. Register items with serial numbers at: immobilise.com
Now that you have some great advice to help make your home more secure, are you taking precautions for your own personal security? Whether you’re out and about or surfing the web, personal security should always be carefully considered. Take a look at our personal security page for some great tips to keep you safe!
Don’t forget about your garden security! This can sometimes be overlooked, so make sure you are doing all you can to make it safe from potential intruders. For more information and some handy tips take a look at our Garden Security Blog!
Source: http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Top-Ten-tips-for-securing-your-home/1400031421159/crimepreventionhomesecurity http://www.ourwatch.org.uk/about_us/projects_campaigns/abssummerlockin